[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor

In a message dated 1/2/00 6:04:32 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< I've got two 0,5 m^2 copper plates and window glas in between (0,4cm =
 4mm). How big is this cap?

Hi Thomas,

The classical formula for capacitance is

C = kA / d
use SI units
C is in Farads
k is the dielectric constant.
A is the area in sq meters
d is the distance between the plates

Tables of dielectric constants and dielectric strength for many materials can
be found in any EE or physics text. Glass is many things but a typical k for
glass is 8.
CAUTION: most glass contains impurities; it is not safe for high voltages.
I have played with it where only fools would venture. Be careful. It can send
shrapnel around the room like a grenade.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman