[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SRSG firing problems

Hello, all

Now I've run into more problems.  I hooked up my coil again (finally!) and
ran it with my new SRSG. It fires for 1 or 2 presentations, then stops and
won't start again. The transformer (15/60) is still buzzing, and I can hear
the wires I run it through to the coil buzzing too like they do normally,
but the gap won't fire.

I tried out the setup without my rotary, with my RQ gap on about 9 sections.
  0.003" spacing.  I got good strong 9" of output, which unfortunately is a
new record.  Too bad.  I would much rather have the new record be 30 or 40",
breaking my previous of 8".  :(

I am now running it with 10nF of capacitance.  I really think I should be
getting more output if I can get the darn rotary to fire.

Does anybody know what I could do to make it work?  I don't appear to be
getting any breakdown in the caps (at least the one in the tupperware bucket
I can see), and have run it again and again, turning it on, (Bang! rotary
fires 1 or 2 presentations, then stops) and off.  Then on again, same thing,
and off.  the transformer is buzzing all the while.  Shoot!  the electrodes
are WELL withing firing distance.

What should I do?  If I can get the rotary to work, then I can start trying
to add more primary turns and tune it further.  But until then, I am feeling
a bit at a dead end.

Thank you!

regards,
Nathan