[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SG questions cont'd + power factor

Reinhard, thanks for the detailed response!

>No. not quite. Quenching refers to the gapīs possibility to
>switch the current on and off at the *proper* moment. I say
>proper here, because a while ago there was a discussion
>about the necessity of 1st notch quenching.

I'm assuming a SRSG here. So how does one figure how much time is needed
for the cap to fully discharge?  Is it a function of the V and I across
the cap and the inductance of the primary?   In most cases is the power
supply stiff (think thats the right word) enough to charge the cap fully
between electrode presentations almost no matter what speed the motor
spinning them is (1800RPM, 3600RPM, etc)? It seems that this would be
have to be true in order to explain the evidence that a higher BPS
yields more instantaneous power (I'm assuming it reduces the dt in
dw/dt).  Is the theory behind an LTR setup that the larger than res cap
takes advantage of the PSU's 'extra' capacity?  How does reactive power
factor into all this?

While I'm asking dumb questions, I have one about power factors.  Would
it be possible to use pf correction on the secondary side of the NST?  I
would assume i would be lagging or leading v on the secondary side too.
So wouldn't putting correction on this side give more bang for the same
power output of the NST?

What's the best book/site for having the math thoroughly explained that
governs this stuff to someone fully competent in calculus but not in
EE--as I'm sure is made obvious by my questions :)

-Stan