[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: very long sparks

100+ meters free air.. Outdoors in Siberia.. The impulse generator is a
large round building in a field near some test transmission lines (130 kV
class) on standard towers. The generator appears to be of the same general
height as the tower. The spark goes up from the impulse generator and
curves over and down to the transmission tower. The text isn't clear on the
energy, but in the same paragraph they talk about 100 to 1000 kJ energies.
The photo isn't big enough to find something for absolute scale (like a 6
foot person standing in the snow), but, as a guess, I'd say that generator
was about 100 meters from the tower, and the spark was probably 50% longer
given the curvature.

I'll scan the photo and post it and hope the copyright gods don't smite me
(hey.. it's "fair use" in review and comment.)

I'll also see if they have a reference to the source of the photo and maybe
I can get the library to get a copy..  It is MOST impressive...

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: very long sparks
> Date: Thursday, January 06, 2000 12:42 AM
>
> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
> to: Jim
>
> If this was an impulse test, question:  Was the spark in free air or
across
> a string of insulators?  If across a string of insulators I have
stretched
> 1,000,000 volts to over 23 feet, but that doesn't count as a free air
spark.
> 1 MEV in free air at 250 KHZ with a break rate of 450 PPS at a power
level
> of 7.5 KVA will stretch to approx 9 feet.
>
> Perhaps someone on the list that has a copy of the book could comment on
> whether it was a 100 meter free air discharge or 100 meters creepage
> flashover along an insulator string.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr. Resonance

Wysock's