[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mounting a Secondary

Cut a piece of 3/4 plywood to friction fit into the ends of the coilform.
Then tap into the form until the ends are even.  Next, drill and tap for
10-24 machine screw.  Mark with piece of tape to retain alignment for
reassembly. The threads in the wood seem to hold fine as long as you are not
assembling and disassembling the coil more than 3-4 times in it's lifetime.
Don't overtighten.

Disassemble and blow out with compressed air.  Attach your 1/4 inch dia
brass feedthrus and reassemble.  Use 10-24 plastic (nylon) machine screws to
hold end in place.  With a 4 inch dia tube 4 screws are adequate.  With a
larger tube such as 10-12 inch use 8-12 machine screws (always nylon --
never metal).  Protection your tube interior with a pair of 1/4 inch acrylic
disks fitted approx 3 inches up each end of tube.  Secure in place with GE
silicone II calking (clear type).

The lower brass feedthru goes through your wood base assembly and then a
brass nut holds it in place.  We usually make a plastic washer 4-5 inch dia
also on the lower side to help distribute the clamping forces over the wood
area so as to not chip it.The brass feedthrus are made by threading each end
of cut to length brass rod --- available from any metal supplier in your
area.

Regards,

Dr. Resonance