[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High Voltage Power Supply

Hi J.B.,

> Original Poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
> Are you sure about that run limit time?  Here in Canada where it is
> common for an oil furnace to run for 10 to 15 minutes at a go, the
> transformer with a 3 minute limit would be useless.  I'm using a
> pair of OBIT's on my coil and have had extended runs with no ill
> effects or heating of the transformers.

Sorry, maybe I phrased it wrong. This is xformer run-time and
NOT furnace run time. The OBIT is used to ignite the gas / air
or oil / air mixture. Once the burner is running, the OBIT is
switched off. A photocell monitors the burner. If the flame should
go out for any reason, the OBIT is fired up once again to re-ignite
the mix. This is why a 3 min run time is plenty for a furnace burner.
As to the 3min limit, it is printed on most (of our) OBITS. Our
OBITS are not very large. They will easily fit in the palm of your
hand. The newer ones are electronic xformers, which are even
smaller. One of my small coils was powered by an OBIT. If I ran
it for more than 5 min, you almost couldnīt touch the OBIT. I did
punish it once on a 10 min run and it decided to die on me. The
tar started oozing out and it shorted internally. I removed the
riveted metal casing (I also had two which were incased in a
plastic housing. I had no luck with these buggers) and plunged it
into an oil bath. The oil helped it survive a bit longer, but once I
had NSTs, I quit using it.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard