[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark length

<<  Hi all,

>   I'm working on tuning my first coil, and I wondered if anyone knew what
>length of sparks I could expect from a 15kV 25mA NST -- assuming that
> all components are of high quality and I have Bob Vila woodworking
> technique  :P

 >  Thanks!

 >  Ross >>

Ross,

I wouldn't worry about Bob Vila methods, I build my coils crudely
as far as fit and finish to save time and work.  I get 42" sparks from
my 12kV, 30ma NST, using a synchronous rotary spark gap in the
coil, and # 12awg stranded PVC insulated close wound wire for the
primary.  The toroid is 4" by 13" spun aluminum toroid, but a 5" by
20" corregated (dryer duct) toroid will do the job also.  THe capacitor
is 0.0147uF.

Cheers,
John Freau