[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Light and Neon Wanted

In a message dated 1/9/00 2:31:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Hi All,
>           I've just fired up my re-engineered little coil.  As it was
>  proving impossible to find the space to run my big coil I though I'd give
>  the little one a blast.
>  The new system uses a larger than resonant primary cap, 42nF, and a 6/60
> neon.
>  The spark gap was a single static type - but a very nice one, huge
>  heatsinks, radiused brass electrodes and a 50W centrifugal blower.
>
>  I brought power onto the system and it seemed to work fine - the gap
>  sounded like a harrier, and as well as the streamer output was about 18"
>  which ain't to shabby for a 6/60 neon on an untuned first run.
>  Then I tapped out another turn and put a small 2" chord toroid onto it.   I
>  brought the power on and the gap seemed more reluctant to fire, firing at
>  about 80% voltage.  When it did fire a really hot white arc came off the
>  corona suppression ring and down onto the primary tapping clip.  Then
>  silence, apart from a buzzing from the neon xfmr.  I killed the power and
>  then disconnected and tested the nst - one side of the sec. was dead.
>
>  As a result of this I have decided not to bother with neons any more and
>  use a DC supply, the one from my big coil probably.  Any advice on how to
>  stop this happening again would be appreciated. particullarly with ref to
>  preventing strikes from pri. to sec.
>
>  Regards
>  Nick Field

Nick,

To prevent strikes down into the primary, both of my coils use flat primaries
with strike rails and a two toroid system.  A smaller toroid spaced a few
inches above the top secondary winding (distance is dependent on coil size
and power) , an open aluminum cylinder (made from roof flashing) sitting on
top of the first toroid then a larger toroid on top of the cylinder.  All
discharges leave from the top toroid.  This at least increases the spacing
between the source of the discharges and the primary -- along with the strike
rail, is all I can think of.  It works for me.

Ed Sonderman