[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Magnifying Transmitter

   Yes Nick, you has right, the value of breakdown in
the dry air (3 kv/cm)is calculated for uniform
E-fields. And is not a brown common used fertiliser,
is a yellow one. Doesn't know anyone a formula of
breakdown voltage in AC fields or it is empirical
found?

On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:32:09 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

>  Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>  I think the breakdown field for air is pretty
constant (at a given
temp
and
>  pressure, etc.) however what is very tricky to
model is the actual
voltage
>  and charge at the end of the leader, so what is not
all that
reliable is
>  the actual field (in Volts/meter).
>
>  That said, there is a wealth of empirical data on
long HV sparks for
all
>  sorts of electrode configurations in all sorts of
environments. And,
there
>  are "rough and ready" approximate theories that fit
the data (even
if
they
>  don't describe what is actually happening) to allow
some sort of
reasonable
>  guess to be made about what will happen. As long as
you are happy
with
10%
>  accuracy, life is good.
>
>  Books like Craggs and Meek, and more recently,
Bazelyan and Raizer,
provide
>  a fairly good handle on this.
Could the title and publisher of the Bazelyan and
Raizer book be
repeated. I
accidently deleted that entry from mail.

Also Nick states:
   The minimum voltage is not 3kV/cm or some similar
brown
>  commonly
>  > used fertiliser.  The calculation, when done as a
field
calculation, is
>  > quite simple but not too reliable as the
breakdown field gradient
of
air
>  is
>  > very variable.
>  >
>  > Regards
>  > Nick Field
I have recently produced rapid , high voltage,high
frequency  violet
discharges of 5 mm length  to an intervening small
insulated water
capacity
from  a sort of resonant rise of voltage principle
obtained from large
inductance coils at 60 hz resonance and  wall voltage.
My  amperage
draw to
the device was about 130 ma, but the q of the coil
system is only
around 30,
supplying only a 3 to 4 thousand volt unobvious, or
resonantly choked,
potential to the process. To enable the higher
voltages to be shown I
employed a  series triple arc gap  with the large
discharge in the
middle
shunted by a capacity to enable breakover or short
discharges to
develope by
the rapid charging and discharging of that capacity.
Is it safe to
assume
that this miniature lightening effect is  only around
1500 volts, given
the
5mm length
and the quoted 3 kv/cm arc over discharge value or
breakdown voltage.
Thanx for any info
Harvey D Norris

Binary Resonant System