[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nathan's Saga Update...

Hi Nathan,

	Glad to know the problems with your coil are starting to yield.  You may
want to put a pointed wire about 3 inches long on your toroid to help get
the sparks out.  This will make it easier to see how your coil is working
without having to mess with a hot stick.

	You may want to look around for a variac too.  That makes tuning and such
much easier since you can control the power with ease.

	Everyone's coil suddenly stops working at times.  It may be a failed
connection or the RQ gap got dirty and just clogged up.  I hope it wasn't
the cap.  If you carefully look over the cap you will see a cracked and
blown out side on the Panasonics if there was a failure.  They are pretty
good at letting you know they died.  However, they should have been able to
easily take that power.  Of course, the France transformer by be
intermittently going in and out due to an internal failure there.  Mine
came back to life after I hit it with my fist a few times but it still
stopped working again in seconds after just plugging it in.

	Once you get your coil stable and get the rotary gap going your sparks
should get right up there.  Probably just a little tuning and tweaking is
all that is needed now.

	I wrote another post about these France transformers and I'll try to
figure out what failed on mine.  My Transco (made in China and very cheap)
has seen far far more abuse than yours and has never had any problems
whatever.  Sometimes the cheap guys put a lot more margin in the design to
make up for poor assembly and such where the fancy guys try to make the
design "optimal" counting on their quality to get them through.  Mine was
really pathetic and seemed like it would have died quickly no matter what
it was used for...  I work with transformers all the time so it should be
easy to see what the problem is.  I just have to get the nasty tar off...

Cheers,

	Terry