[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: drying coil forms

Snip

> >         1. Wind coil on carboard tube of appropriate dimensions
> >         2. Epoxy/Varnish with lots of coats (enough to hold shape)
> >         3. Soak coil in water (or whatever) to disolve cardboard form.
> >         4. Sand & coat inside for extra support for wire.
> >
> > Any thought?
> >
> > Justin G.
> >
> <SNIP>
>
> Justin,
>
> This approach should work quite well. Greg Leyh fabricated the secondary
> of his giant coil, Electrum, using a similar technique, using fiberglas
> resin to hold the #12 AWG winding in place, then using high pressure
> water to remove the original interior cardboard form.
>
> http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/electrumpics.html
>
> Safe coilin' to you!
>
> -- Bert --

Hi Guys,
I just thought of a great way to stay dry and possibly make the job easier.
Try wrapping  a sheet of that Home Depot vareity polyethelene sheet around a
pvc pipe (how you are going to get it to stay there is beyond me though.
Nothing seems to stick to this stuff). You can use the 4 or 6 mil stuff, it
doesn't matter. Apply the windings and then the coating. After it cures you
could probably slide the whole thing off the PVC pipe and then the
polyethelene sheet could then be removed with a simple tug!

Stay warm and dry!
S.G.