[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nathan has some success!

Hello, Nathan, comments below

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:17:48 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: "Nathan Ball" <nateburg-at-hotmail-dot-com>
<snippo>
> BUT..
> After several minutes (not continuous) of working, the spark gap
> stops
> firing. (this was just as I got the camera out to record the new
> record...
> coincidence, or no?)  The tranny still hums like before, but no
> spark gap
> again.  All of my connections are good, the capacitor is working,
> and the
> NST even draws the same length of arc as when the coil works, but no
> spark
> gap.  Darn!
>
> My gap presently is an RQ,no cooling fan right now, 8 sections -at-
> .03".

I had this same problem with my old RQ gap. I'd definately mount a small
"muffin" fan on one end of it, or find some other method of gettiing air
flow through the gap. Try just blowing through the gap a few times and
fire it up again after it has stopped firing- I seem to recall that this
got it runr a few more minutes.

> Has anyone had this problem before?  It was happening earlier too.
> Then I
> worked on other parts of the coil for a couple days, and tonight it
> worked
> fine again.  Perhaps the coil will work fine for another couple
> minutes
> tomorrow evening...

Grayson Dietrich
http://www.electrophile.8m-dot-com