Re: tweaking

In a message dated 7/31/00 11:21:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> top few windings of the secondary. (White, with a bluish tinge).
>  In order to improve the output, should I remove a few windings from the
>  top of the secondary ? Will this stop the wasted leakage from coming from
>  top windings and get all the power into the topload ?
>  If I adjust the tapping from the primary coil, it doesn't seem change the
>  output,
>  even with half-a-turn of adjusting ! My RF ground is a 5 ft steel rod
>  hammered
>  down to almost ground level in sandy soil, watered with a hosepipe,
>  connected
>  to the system with car jumper cable, and clips.
>  Any ideas for getting that bit more power ?
>                       Richard Barton.

Richard,

That's a lot of power for a small coil, so it should give much
longer sparks.  Maybe it's not really tuned properly?  You could
try an air blast across the gap.  With that much power the gap is
probably
power arcing which can destroy the spark length.  You could try
just one NST, and it might work better, depending on the cap size.

Cheers,
John Freau