Re: Need Secondary wire source

The fishing line method is quite messy and unreliable if you wind it by
hand. A friend of mine made a jig for space winding that gave him *perfect*
spacing on his big 8 inch coil. The result was a coil which produced 4+ foot
streamers from 1800 watts. He had #26 wire and he wanted the same spacing as
a #22 wire wound secondary. So, when he made a jig to wind it, he connected
(by way of chain and sprocket)  the threaded rod that holds the secondary to
another threaded rod sitting about 2 inches from the surface of the spinning
secondary. Beneath the secondary, his spool of wire had a rod driven through
it which was big enough to provide some tension. The sprocket on the second
threaded rod was slightly larger which determined the spacing by lacing the
wire from the spool beneath the coil, across the rod (in the threads) and
onto the secondary. When the secondary was turned, the wire was pulled
across the second threaded rod at a rate which was determined by the size of
the second sprocket, then onto the coil at a spacing determined by the
latter.
It may sound somewhat confusing, but it only took about 3 hours to make the
jig and wind a coil. Also keep in mind that it was absolutely perfect. There
were no human winding components to overlap or cross the wire.

My $.02 on spacewound secondaries:
They are a waste of time.
Don't bother unless you must use a smaller size wire than the optimum for
that diameter secondary.
Any dust or debris between windings on the coil will burn down the secondary
during operation. Not good!!!
If you want better insulation between windings, wind the coil with a tacky
layer of pour on finish (cheap epoxy), than coat the final product with it
as well.
The only reason I would make a space wound coil is so that I could wind
another coil in between the first set of windings.
Increasing the self capacity of the coil would also dramatically increase
the losses of the coilform material, depending on how much the self capacity
goes up.

Try it if you have your mind set on it.
Good luck,

        -Michael