Re: variac brush

At 05:28 PM 06/07/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jorge F." <jorgetesla-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Hi,
>
>Im trying to fix my variac, I got thit item at e-bay but upon inspection i
>found one of the windings was shorted, so i removed the damaged part and
>replaced it with new windings, reduced the new wires with a small sander.
>I was also looking at the brush but I´ve never seen one,I dont know if its
>worn down, the brush is triangle shapped with a flat contact.
>Could someone provide pointers.
>
>Jorge Fuentes

Hello Jorge,

The brush that you describe sounds similar to those used in repulsion-
induction motors.  Take the one (or part thereof) to a motor repair
shop and they'll likely be able to fix you up.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca