RE: How to get Glyptal

I called EIS Holden in Orlando and they recommended that I order the Glypal
1201 red insulating varnish from EIS Holden, Philadelphia so save on
shipping costs (I'm in New Hampshire).  I ended up purchasing two gallens
from them at $49.79 per gallen plus $25.97 for shipping via Fedex ground.

I have heard good things about this varnish, but don't rush things by
applying extra thick coats and not allowing the coats to dry thoroughly
before the next application.  I might even recommend the thinner (also sold
by EIS I assume).  I made the mistake of applying three very thick coats to
my wound secondary.  Each coating consisted of two thick applications about
30 minutes apart from each other.  I allowed two weeks dying time between
the three coats.  After doing this and allowing the form to sit for a month
the varnish was still a bit soft so I placed it in the sun by a back door.
The varnish has been producing large (0.5 to 3 inch) bubbles ever since as
the unlying layers dry, much like a pizza coming out of an oven.  This
varnish seems to produce a skin which prevents unlying material to dry.  The
trick is to keep the layers thinner than this skin.  I don't expect any big
problems in the end since the wire I used was 18 gauge PVC insulated, but
there will be some aesthetic issues to address once the varnish has fully
dried.  I plan on lightly sanding the form and finishing by properly
applying a couple more light coats.

- Jeff Blodgett