RE: secondary coil form materials

The firing rate of a static gap is in no way related to the AC mains
frequency.  This is a common misconception.  If the energy in one mains
half-cycle is insufficient to charge the cap to Vgap-breakdown, this energy
is not wasted.  Energy will be added from the next half-cycle, charging in
the opposite direction, and the gap will fire as soon as Vgap is reached.  I
have some simulation waveforms demonstrating this on my web site at:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/gapsim.htm
<http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/gapsim.htm>

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA