Re: Form Material Info!!!

In a message dated 7/15/00 10:19:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Dan Kunkel" <dankunkel-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>  Gary,
>
>  why then do so many coilers "prep" their pvc forms by drying them with an
>  oven and coating them with poly? is this considered an outdated procedure?
>  are you saying all secondary form materials are the same in terms of
>  performance?
>
>  dan

Dan,

Although prepping the pvc will not help to give longer sparks, it might
perhaps make the form less likely to carbon track or burn up from
flashovers, etc., but I don't even know if it really helps in this regard.
Most reasonable secondary materials will give equal performance
for all practical purposes.  Of course you would not want to use a
material that had conductive metal or particles in it, and the material
needs to be physically strong enough to support the winding and top
load, etc.

Cheers,
John Freau