Re: sync gap vs. static, was; secondary coil form materials

In a message dated 7/15/00 2:43:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  Hello all,
>
>  I am a bit confused regarding the use of async rsg's with neons. If indeed
>
>  static gap fires at uneven rates, and is not apt to synchronize, why, then
> is
>  it necessary to use a sync rsg with NST's?
>
>  Thanks for any clarification!
>
>  Chris

Hi Chris,

Although the static gap and the async gap both fire non-sync-ly,
the static gap will always fire when a particular voltage is reached,
but the async gap (when a firing is skipped), can permit the voltage
to go too high.  The safety gap can be set to limit the voltage to a
safe level, but then the coil might run somewhat erratically perhaps.
It would be an interesting test though, to run with an async gap with
an NST with properly set safety gaps and a properly sized cap to see
what happens.  It is possible that with a properly sized capacitor, it
might work reasonably well, but I have a feeling that the performance
would not be that good, if the NST survives.

Cheers,
John Freau