From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 12:32 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Strange shock (fwd)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

> The weirdest thing I think about this effect that many of us have at some
time
> been painfully aware of is that the surface of the coating which holds the
> charge seems to resist being discharged.  You can go over it several
times with
> a conductive grounding wand that has connection to the wire composing the
> resonator winding, and each time get a renewed snapping discharge from
the same
> area.  So....is it possible that some electret phenomenon is occurring in
the
> plastic film insulation overcoating our resonators?  Is it possible that
some
> characteristic of the charging waveform, possibly the short duty cycle
and the
> very high peak voltage, that a threshold is being achieved which causes
some
> unusual molecular alignment in the insulation which is the basis for an
> electret phenomenon to occur?
>
> I'm not a physicist, I've never even played one on TV, but some of you
are, or
> might have.  Comments?

More probably is something simpler, as the charges redistributing,
covering again the areas that you discharge. The new charges can come
from
surrounding areas, or even from defects in the body of the insulating
layer.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz