From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 4:01 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Motors, RSGs and Stuff

Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

<snip>

If you do a little hunting, try to find an old AS-400 mainframe or something

similar. They have >100LBS hard drives that take up like 8U rack spaces.
These drives work on 240VAC and the drive motors will spin happily on 110
and have there own power supply units. We have tinkered with this idea for a

while. With one of the large drives it should work. The plattens are about
14"dia and have tons of inertial mass. The motors are VERY powerfull and
maintain a rock-solid RPM and will live just about forever.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org