Re: Strange shock (fwd)

Hi All,

Just to add to David's observation, I have "never" experienced a shock off my
large 12.75 cardboard sonotube form secondary and have run it in all climates,
including extreme low humidity days back in MN. Plastic (especially nylon and
similar materials) are very sensitive to electrostatic charge. Although I am
not a physics guru, I have had 10 years hands-on experience with static charge
problems in the printing industry. On many occasions, I was directly involved
to investigate electronic ghosts. I learned from hard won experience to carry a
meter designed specifically for measuring static field charge. Because nylon
was common, I could pin point the problem immediately. The static charge levels
would peg the needle (over 40kv) with nylon everytime.

Some of the materials used for secondary forms may contain similar properties
as nylon. With the nylon, the charge mechanism was low humidity and friction.
Our coils may use some other mechanism to provide the charge, but I think David
may be correct as to "what" the secondary form is made of.

Bart