Re: winding vs. spark length, was any insulation recomendations for magnet wire

In a message dated 7/17/00 8:09:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Form my experience, arcs >3x the sec. coil length are quite possible with
>  clas-
>  sic two-coil systems and from what I've read, arc length/ resonator coil
>  ratios can considerably exceed this with maggie systems. But these
> impressive
>  results can
>  only be obtained with a properly designed, built, and tuned system.

David,

The main factor that determines how long the spark can be relative to
the secondary coil, is the bang size, and indirectly.... the break-rate.
If the break-rate is high, the bang size will be smaller for a given
power input.  The bang size is the real key.  I use low break-rates
because of the better "efficiency" they provide, but this limits the
spark length that I can obtain from a certain secondary winding length,
due to the relatively large bang-size.  But it's a tradeoff that I'm happy
to make.

In the magnifiers, the resonator doesn't "see" the total voltage, so
the ratio can be higher.

Cheers,
John Freau