Fwd: 8" coil :(

From: CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com
Full-name: CTCDW
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:58:35 EDT
Subject: 8" coil :(
To: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com, sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net, tonysasha-at-yahoo-dot-com,
	bwroblewski-at-yahoo-dot-com

Hello friends!

Well, I tried it....2 measly inches, and an erratic sync gap. It is
definitely sync though. so....

.035- sync gap fires erratic...a few seconds firing, and a few not, BUT!!!!!
the safety gaps did not fire!!! This is ballasted with a 1500 watt hair
dryer. More capacitance? no.

I added my .01 plasticcap in parallel for .045. Then the gap wouldn't fire at
all! still no safety gap activity.

Decided to try my super duper almost no ballast at all choke transformer, set
pig to 7200V. nothing. changed to 14,400, and slowly turned up the variac. at
about 50%, the gap started to fire, and all three safety gaps went off. The
neighbors must think I had been shot.
So then: Sync is out of phase, and its just waaaaaay too much power for this
little 8" coil to handle. or my safety gaps are too close at 3/8" avg, with
the pig gap at about an inch. I'm not willing to try this again until I have
some real ballast on the piggy. If you have any life and cap saving ideas,
please let me know.

CHris