Strange tube behavior...

Heyas, all

In follow-up to what  came of a'questing about info for my 811A tube TC,
I have one big comment.

Several Folks told me to run the tube dull red or so. And to do that,
reduce the grid resistance. So I tried...   ...I have the current meter
pegged at 300mA, and the plate won't even glow the dullest of reds...
the grid resistor has been reduced to as little as 500 ohms or smaller.
This mode of operation also reduces the grid voltage to around 50V or so.
I incresed the number of turns in the feedback coil by 1 to increase
this, and it did, but then the discharge was shorter. I -had- at 300mA,
been betting sparks 3" long.  I also have tried reducing the grid
capacitance to 3000pF, which  seemded to hurt output. I restored it to
it's original 5000pF.

Comments, anyone?

Thanks,

Grayson Dietrich