Re: PFC Math equations

In a message dated 7/21/00 12:47:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Rod & Patti" <asrai-at-cfl.rr-dot-com>
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  I'm looking for the formula to calculate the value of capacitance needed
>  for power factor correction, for a given input voltage and current.  I'm
>  using an adjustable ballast in my main power feed and I need to know if
>  this is going to cause any adverse affects to the power factor correction
>  value.
>
>  Thanks and keep on coilin'!
>  Rod & Patti

Rod and Patti,

My understanding is that as long as the ballast is adjustable, you can
adjust it to get a reasonable power factor.  Just adjust it for max spark
using minimum input current.  A bad power factor won't hurt the spark
(I know you didn't imply that it did), but it will increase the input current
and VA.  It becomes important if you're right on the edge of what your
breaker can provide.

Cheers,
John Freau