Re: Voltage determination

in free air, uniform field (not the case with a TC), it is roughly 30
kV/cm.  Needle gaps run about 1/3 that (or close to the 1 kV/mm from
Jeroen), but, OTOH, needle gaps are notoriously erratic, especially as the
voltage gets high.  They are particularly sensitive to surrounding objects
that perturb the field, and to various other ionization effects (UV,
radiation, etc.)

You could use the uniform field number as an upper bound..

The voltage on a TC is more realistically limited by the radius of
curvature of the top load.  If your top load had a radius of curvature of
10 cm (i.e. the "tube" of the toroid was 8 inches in diameter), and it were
very smooth, the maximum voltage would be around 300 kV. Any bumps,
ripples, etc. will tend to reduce the voltage.  The larger diameter (i.e.
across the toroid) has very little effect on the breakdown voltage, but a
lot of effect on the capacitance.

When the field is nonuniform (and changing), you can produce very long
sparks in a very low overall field.  The field before lightning strikes is
typically less than 10 kV/meter, and that's a fairly long spark in a field
that is 1/300th that for breakdown (3 MV/meter)