Winding secondaries

I'm in the process of building a couple of conventional secondaries (as
contrasted with my existing "pie"-wound one) in order to compare their
effectiveness using my solid-state primary apparatus.  Thought I'd ask
around as to ways in which to do this.

I am using Sonotubes--one 10" and one 12"--and I intend to wind 22 ga.
(0.025", 0.6 mm dia.) onto the 10" and 18 ga. (0.06", 1.5 mm dia.) onto
the 12".  I intend to wind the wire over double-sided sticky-tape
(polypropylene cloth with rubber-resin adhesive) to keep it secure.  I've
already contrived end-closures and intermediate stiffeners for the
Sonotubes and I have coated them with a water-repellant that I'm pretty
sure will not overly reduce the adhesion of the tape I plan to use.

I'll probably wind the 22 ga. without spacing as it's
enamel-covered--although I have some doubts about that because excessive
volts/turn may well punch through that minimal spacing.  But my 18 ga. is
bare and so I will need spacing for it.

I have made a rudimentary winding machine but the wire will be
hand-guided during the winding process.

I have in mind two ways to attain spacing with the 18 ga. wire:

1.  Wind it simultaneously with 0.028"-dia. monofilament fishline,
providing about 0.025" or so spacing.  Not having ever done this, I see
it as a bit of a chore, to say the least.

2.  Wind on first, a polypropylene twine of about 0.08" dia., to form a
spiral track.  Then on top of that, wind on the 18 ga. wire,
giving--again--a spacing of about 0.025".  I forsee that method as being
somewhat easier since only one wind at a time need be attended to.  I
would expect the twine to be held sufficiently well in place by the
sticky-tape so it would not be displaced by the subsequent wire-winding.
I envision the slight springiness of the twine as being advantageous in
keeping the wire turns tight, over time.

I'm wary of gluing the wire in place with subsequently-applied varnish or
the like:  I feel that anything organic through which a spark might pass
is inevitably going to leave a carbon track that will promote subsequent
corona or worse.

I've not gotten to the point yet where I will try out the two methods,
so I'm very interested in receiving comments anyone may have as to what I
have in mind.  Any advice derived from sad experience, any suggestions as
to better ways to do it, etc. would be most welcome.

Respond via the List so that all & sundry may be enlightened!

Ken Herrick

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.