RE: A new tuning idea?

These clamp-on meters were designed for 60 Hz use only.  I very much doubt
they would give any response at 100-200KHz at all.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Steve and list,

While tuning my own coil, I used a friend's clamp-on anolog AC ammeter that
operates the same way as is described below.  These can be purchased at
hardware
stores for very little money.  I believe I ran across one at a True Value
for
about $40-50.  And it's good from 6 to 300A (the max settings).

While running the coil, I clamped it over the ground cable, and was unable
get a reading.  I may have had it set too high, but the needle should have
jumped a little even on 30A (or whatever the setting was).  When I had
attempted
this, I was running two of my three 15/30's with an LTR cap (~28nF) and
SRSG.
It was not in great tune, but was kicking off some decent 3 foot streamers.

I never did try to get a measurement after I got it in better tune with the
third NST and 42 nF cap - I was too busy watching the purdy blue 5' sparks
:-)
I'll probably try the next time I fire it up (which won't be soon, as it's
on
the other side of the state :-(  )

Mark B.