SRSG motor power

 I am in the process of building a massive multiple-series SRSG for my next
big coil project. (24" secondary, ~24kW in)

 I haven't been able to come up with much information for calculating the
"wind" loading of the rotor, or the recommended motor starting torque for a
given mass/moment arm.

 So I'd like some advice or empirical data from anyone who has built a gap
with a rotor similar in construction to mine:

    rotor material: G-10
    rotor dimensions: 12" x 0.5"
    rotor mass: ~ uh, heavy
    electrode material: 60% tungsten 40% copper sintered "alloy"
    electrode dia. of rotation: 10.5" (I think- it's not in front of me)
    electrode dimensions: 0.5" x 1.5"
    electrode mass: ~1.5 pounds total (for 8 electrodes)

 This design has 4 stationary electrodes on each of two stators, so can be
wired for 2 - 8 gaps in series if warranted.

 I have a 1HP 1800 rpm motor that I'm thinking of converting to salient pole
operation, but I want to be sure it's beefy enough to do the job without
overheating.  I'm aware that considerable torque capability is lost after
converting a squirrel cage motor to salient pole by removing pole material.

thanks in advance,
- Bill Lemieux
(aka Gomez in some circles)

PS: I have only recently returned to this list after a very long hiatus of
several years.  I think I can handle the list traffic better now, and I'm
sure I can use all the advice I can get on what is likely to be my last
large coil.  It's good to be back in the thick of things.

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something,
But to be SOMEONE."  - Coco Chanel