Re: GMHEICSLR

Hi Sundog,

At 10:54 PM 7/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>    Greetings All!
>
>Ah, the GMHEICSLR,
>
>  I was just wondering...since I'll now have a tiny bit of free
>time to tinker with this "thingey", has anybody else gotten close
>to Terry's record?  13+" is quite a feat, I'll admit.  I'm staring
>doubtfully at the cube in question as I type...The core is to be
>ground and removed tomorrow, and the "high-voltage-in-a-small-home"
>container for it to be started.  Good thing these are only ~$15,
>'cause it looks kinda frail to take a big discharge across the
>primary.  But they're epoxy potted, so it should take a bit of a
>beating.
>
>My questions...
>  What is the inductance of the primary?  I've not got the tools to
>measure it :(
>     Ditto on the secondary...

Much information is at:
http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/gmheicslr.htm

When I did it, I got the following numbers for the coil:
Primary inductance = 200uH
Secondary inductance = 6.06H
Pri-sec coupling (no core) = 0.15
Primary capacitance = 1.723uF
Secondary capacitance = 37pF
Primary resistance = 0.471 ohms
Secondary resistance = 7782.7 ohms
Firing voltage = 1600 volts

The secondary voltage has a classic Tesla coil ring up and peaks at about 90kV

>  I'm assuming the first turn of the secondary is connected to
>the - terminal (just like a can-type ignition coil).  Should I
>expect some nasty kickback from that leg?

There are three wires, two are the primary and one is the "bottom" of the
secondary.  The primary and secondary are NOT internally connected.

>   I've carefully constructed a nice HV rectifier (read soldered
>50-70 diodes/resistors).  Would throwing an orphan 30kv500pf cap
>across the HV out give it a little protection?

The cap would be a good idea.

>   For extra "voltage creation", will my spare MMC caps works
>nicely in the role of a voltage doubler/quadrupler/octupler?
>
>  And Terry, in your pictures, is your topload a metal toilet bowl
>float?! (if it is, I been doing janitor work too long!)

It is a copper toilet float.  However the record breaking coil had a wire
point in the direction of a grounded point.  thus, the 13.25 inch arc was
between two wire point with practically no real top terminal other than a 1
inch diameter drawer pull to prevent needless corona.

Of course, the Fabulous GMHEICSLR is still mine!! :-))

Cheers,

	Terry