quick trial...no luck terry

hey terry   i did a quick trial with the fan shroud topload installed and
the primary tapped at a little less than 4 turns with no success.  i am very
tired and i'm not up to playing with it any more tonight   i will check out
all my connections and try a different ground for the secondary.  i am
currently using a 2 foot long steel rod pounded into the flower bed in front
of my apartment.  the spark gap seemed to be getting hotter.  the tip of it
is melting off pretty fast   i might have to make a better design there also.
 so far my only ground is the lower side of the secondary.  am i missing a
ground maybe.  is there a way to test out how good that grounding rod is
working?     -danny