Re: Rotary Spark Gap - Construction Questions

Ross,

I don't know too terribly much about motors.  But, I know that one can make
an
adjustable speed AC motor but modifying the input frequency.  This will
also
adjust the torque, but I never really got an explanation of that.  But, I
believe (more guess than fact) that this frequency controller is not
incredibly
easy to build, and is a bit expensive to purchase.

A 3600RPM motor with this type of controller may get you to your desired
speed.
I'd talk to a buddy at work about it, but he's going to Wyoming on business
next
week, and I don't know of anyone else who know's anything about this type
of
motor control (all DC at work.  For those who don't konw, which is all but
about
3 of you, I work at P&H Mining Equipment, which makes huge electric shovels
for
open pit mines.  I've seen my fair share of 1600HP DC motors on the shop
floor
:-)

Perhaps not the best solution for your needs, but I thought that I'd throw
it
out there for consideration.  For motor sources, try rockwell-dot-com (some
subsidiary makes good motors).

Good luck

Mark B.