Re: PVC Drying

At 09:32 PM 28/07/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: Irrelative-at-aol-dot-com
>
>I've heard by many people that you're supposed to 'dry' a PVC secondary
>before you seal, wind, etc it.  I'm curious to know if there really is that
>much moisture in a PVC pipe.  It seems as though a piece of plastic wouldn't
>pick up too much moisture, but I could be wrong.  Has anyone made a coil
>without drying their PVC secondary?  What results did you get?  Thanks!

My secondary was wound on non-dried PVC.  I put it in the lathe, applied
a fairly thin layer of West System epoxy resin, and then wound the coil
while the resin was still tacky.  After winding, I applied more of the
resin and let the whole thing rotate until it cured, so I had no runs
or sags.  It works great, and I'd recommend the resin over varnish or
polyurethane, as it cures due to a chemical reaction with the hardener
rather than air drying like the others.  My .02 worth, anyhoo.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca