RE: tesla coil hight? and Need 30 mil poly!

I've seen no formula relating coil size to xfmr.  A 15/60 NST is typically
used with the secondary sizes you mentioned, and I have built both with #22
for my 15/60 with comparable performance.  Terry has used (I think) a 10"
secondary with his 15/60.

The ideal wire gauge is indeed a good question.  John Freau is an outspoken
advocate of thinner wires towards the goal of increasing the required
primary inductance.  Analysis shows that the thinner (within "reason") wire
does not significantly affect losses.  Sizes 22-28 AWG are typical.

If you are a glutton for tedious work, you can order LDPE of any thickness
you like from Cadillac Plastics.  There are certainly other places that may
be local to you, just look in the yellow pages under "plastic".

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

		Original poster: "Alex Madsen" <alexmadsen-at-netzero-dot-net>

		Is there a general formula or something to determine the
optimal height of
		an Tesla Coil for its transformer.  I know that it is a good
idea to keep a
		1 to 5 high to diameter. What is the ideal wire gauge. My
power supply will
		by a 15kv 60 ma. I am thinking about a 4.5 x 22 or a 6 x 30.
Secondary.

		Where can i get 30 mil poly for caps. The only place i found
sold it for
		pond lining but it was to big (50 by 5)