Re: Can I touch my Tesla ?

I just heard a paper at a conference where they were talking about the
ionization of the air being higher in coniferous forests and in grain
fields (which caused more rapid breakdown of SF6, and a variety of other
ionization related effects (HV breakdown). The best idea going now (nobody
is really sure) is that it is the earth's Efield (typically several
kV/meter) and all those sharp points at the ends of the needles.  We're
talking about many orders of magnitude increases in ion density, by the
way, so it's not some hard to detect effect.