Re: PVC Wire for a secondary?

"John H. Couture" wrote:

> Ed -
>
> You have me wondering about your coils. If it isn't the magnet wire
> insulation that makes your coils perform better than average then you must
> be holding out on us coilers. What is your secret that produces those great
> coils? I know one of them is superior craftsmanship. What are the other
> secrets?
>
> John C.

John,

It's Pixy dust!

There is no one secret that will suddenly increase the output of a coil
by a factor two or three or any amount, for that matter. It is a
synergism or working together of ALL the separate components of a system
that separates the so-so coils from the butt-kicking ones, and any
experienced coil builder knows this. If I've said this once, I've said
it a dozen times, the only way to become an experienced coil builder
with this grasp of synergism is to actually build coils with real
hardware! You can't do it sitting at a keyboard working only with models
of Tesla coils. This is not to take anything away from the guys out
there who do BOTH the actual building and the computer modeling! If you
do both, all the better! I feel that this is the way to gain real insite
into the complex internal interactions of the simple looking device we
call the Tesla Coil.

I recommend reading pages A-22 and A-23 in Richard Hull's excellent book
"The Tesla Coil Builder's Guide to the Colorado Springs Notes of Nikola
Tesla" concerning "Synergism-Harmony" in the building of Tesla coils.
Richard says it much more elequently than I ever could and is right on
the mark with his statements.

Ed Wingate RATCB