Re: Tesla's experiment - lighting wires!

Dobar Dan, kamarat!

   I've noticed that platinum gets hot when high frequency currents pass
through it...
  In fact I have several "vacuum fulguration electrodes" used for spark
cautery.  I think the resistance of the wire is why it heats up...and if the
current is high enough, it will incadesce...?

  I've also heard of a lot of experiments with iron wire becoming
incadescent in high frequency fields...  and also noticed that certain
metals seem to get warmer than others when you use them to draw off sparks
from Tesla Coils....(?)

As far as tungsten wire...
I've lit incadescent light bulbs with high frequency currents - by placing
them in series with a Tesla coil and my own body.  This seems to work best
with the early vacuum bulbs... and lower-voltage higher current coils (One
of my Diathermy Machines works well with this experiment -- output is around
50,000V, -  gives a HOT 1" spark)

I've also heard (but never tried it, "wisely" scared maybe!) of two people
each holding the terminal of a light bulb and one of them touching the Tesla
Coil terminal, the other ground.  This experiment is often mentioned in
1900s medical texts... which doesn't mean by any means that it is safe.  I
can imagine disasterous results if the spark gap misfires, like being fried
to a crisp.

< A bit off-subject, but...incidentally...
One BIG warning about a lot of old experiments in books--
ANYTIME you place your body in circuit with the PRIMARY of the Tesla Coil
you are putting yourself in grave danger -- with certain death being one
result if something were to go wrong -
The d'Arsonval terminals of the old medical machines are EXTREMELY dangerous
-- and while MANY old doctor's books mention experiments with them, they
SHOULDN'T be tried!!  Common sense will tell you that the human body doesn't
belong in any circuit involving the primary of a Tesla Coil, espescially
being in parallel with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tak, s Bohom!
Byval som v Pittsburgh, co ja pijem Slivovica v Hrvatsky' Klub...
Slivovica, Slivovica... I'll trade you a Tesla Coil secondary for a bottle
of Slivovica!
Slovak som a slovak budem, opit pod stolem spat!
Jeff Behary, v Amerike, teraz na Floride.
http://www.lvstrings-dot-com/quack.htm

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com