From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:26 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: SRSG Newbie questions

Original Poster: "Bob Berg" <berg_bob-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello,
I'm preparing to build a SRSG that can handle up to 2 - 2.5 KW:

What determines the diameter of the disk I should be spinning? I have
seen
many in the range of 7" - 12"  Which size is correct?
My next question is about motor HP.  How much HP do I need? I have a
1/4HP
Reliance Cap start ball bearing motor.  It is rated at 3440 rpm -at- 60Hz.
If I
make it syncronous through amature modification I know I will lose some
torque, but is this  a good choice for a motor?  Or should I be looking
for
something bigger?   By the way the armature diameter is just about 2" if

that means anything.
I also have a split phase (no cap)  , 1/2 HP  bushing motor - is this a
better choice? Can split phase motors be modified the same way?