Re: async RSG question

In a message dated 6/8/00 9:12:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  I have a question concerning asynch RSGs. My present RSG for my
>  large coil system is driven by a 1/3 HP 3450 RPM perm. slpit cap.
>  motor from a bench grinder. I use 6 rotory electrodes so if my math
>  is right, that comes out to 345 pps, which of course is not a common
>  multiple of the 60 hz. line frequency, so not synchronous. I have not-
>  iced though that the rotor takes on the "strobe" effect when the rotory
>  gap is firing (the RSG rotor appears to be stationary). I have noticed
>  this effect many times before in the past. My question is why does
>  RSG rotor appear stationary in the spark gap light if it is not in synch
>  with the line frequency?

David,

The gap looked stobed because it always fires when the rotor is
in a similar looking position.  Turn the rotor so the electrodes line
up, then turn it 1/6th turn more, than another 1/6th turn, etc, you
will see that it always looks the same when the gaps are aligned
(i.e. when it fires).  It is self strobing from the firing, not being strobed
by an external 60 or 120 bps light.  This is the key.

>  I have also noticed that the RSG will not fire if the the stat. electrodes
>  are placed on one side of the motor, but if the stat electrodes are
>  placed on the opposite side of the motor, the gap fires reliably. To me,
>  these effects sounds like the syptoms of a synchronous gap system,
>  although I know it's not. I would be interested to hear anyone else's
>  view on this?

If I understand what you're saying, it should fire the same either way,
so I don't know why it doesn't.  I'd have to see a photo of the gap.
In any case the system is not synchronous in any way.

Cheers,
John Freau