[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Compact Capacitor Idea

Hi Carolyn,

> Original Poster: "Carolyn Novak" <acmnovak-at-execpc-dot-com>
>  Here's my idea for a cheap, compact hv capacitor. Tell me what you
> think...
> Put a ~22 awg wire down the center of a piece of vinyl tubing(clear
> flexible material found at any hardware store - must have slightly
>thick walls), then fill it with saltwater (oh yeah, seal up one end
>first...), then coil it up very loosly and put it in a container full
>saltwater (leave both ends of the tubing out of the water). Now,
>put a bolt in the remaining open end of the tubing and a bolt in
>the saltwater bath. There you have it...
>It could be made of 1/4" tubing in a cool whip container or
>whatever else you can get your hands on. It may be crap-tacular
>but it works ; )

Basically, you get an overly complex saltwater cap, which is very
lossy. Depending on what your dielectric is made of (the tubing)
it could be VERY lossy at RF frequencies. Also it won´t have a
very high puncture voltage, which means you need a lot of them
in series, which makes the already low capacitance (low sq. area)
even lower, which would necessitate a lot of these strings in
parallel, which means A LOT of work.

Stick to (E)MMCs. Cheap, variable, very efficient and almost
indestructible ;o)) Best buy and performance for your money.

Preaching (E)MMC from Germany,
Reinhard