[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

saftey gap problems

Hello, All

Recently, I fired up my 12/60 powered coil in its new configuration, with
a .027µF MMC, 120bps SRSG, 4"X22" #26 secondary, one 4"X18" toroid under
one 6"X24" toroid, and max 17 turn primary of 1/4" copper tubing on 1/2"
centers. I synched the gap to appear to be aligning somewhere near the
peak, using a big NeHe light to do so.

I then tried to tune it, and at best was able to get some measly
-multiple- 18" arcs to air, where the variac was at about 80V, where the
saftey gap would begin to fire rapidly. This continued to happen even
when I set the saftey gap way beyond what I considered safe protection
for the 12/60.

The coil may have been overcoupled (I noticed dim corona from edges of
toroids down to primary, in the classic "cone" shape, though I adjusted
the sec further from the primary. I don't know if the corona continued).
I was using a pair of RF chokes...   ...at least I think I can call them
that. They are each about 1.7mH, closewound on 2.5" PVC. I later bypassed
them, and wired in a pair of SW RF bypass caps, but didn't have a chance
to test it out.

Do folks often have problems with saftey gaps if you are running a RSG?

Thanks all,

Grayson Dietrich
http://www.electrophile.8m-dot-com
http://www.insani-co.8m-dot-com