[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: I am a european!

flac600 is incorrect...

American wire gauges are a geometric progression (i.e. the ratio between
successive gages is a constant).  In round numbers, AWG 10 is 0.1" in
diameter, and AWG 30 is 0.010" in diameter. That is, 20 gauges is a factor
of 10 in diameter and a factor of 100 in cross sectional area.
Handy other ratios to remember (all approximate, but you shouldn't be
calculating to 0.0001% anyway).. 10 gauges is 10 times the area and 10
times the current carrying capacity.
6 gauges is half the diameter, 3 gauges is half the area (kind of like dB,
eh?)

22 AWG is about .025" in diameter...(0.06439 cm)

This ONLY applies to wire...sheet metal is entirely different. some  handy
sheet metal gauges are 22 (1/32" thick), 16 (1/16" thick), 11 (1/8" thick),
3 (1/4")... note that sheet metal does NOT have a geometric progression...

Nor do shotgun sizes (which is how many balls of the diameter you can make
out of a pound of lead)..

Why can't we just use square mm???? or mm diameter???

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: I am a european!
> Date: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 6:45 PM
>
> Original Poster: "flac600" <flac600-at-velocity-dot-net>
>
> hi this is flac600 -at-velocity-dot-net awg 22  stands for American Wire Guage
the
> number is the size in thousandths of an inch hope this helps bye

seems