[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: calculating bps for sync rsg

> Original Poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-netzero-dot-net>
>
> Hello,
> This may be a dumb question, but please bear with me, I'm kinda new at this.
> How do I calculate the break rate of my synchronous rotary gap? My rotor
has 4
> contacts. it is a 1/2 hp motor, 1725 rpm(I think), 60hz. Whatever it is, it
> seems to work well.

Jon, that is not a synchronous motor, unless you've modified it by milling
flats in the rotor so as to bring the RPM up to 1800. That aside, break rate
is as simple as: (Motor RPM  x breaks per revolution) / 60.  In a typical
setup, breaks-per-rev = number of contact points on the rotor, so you will
be getting 115 bps.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net