[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: calculating bps for sync rsg

<< Original Poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-netzero-dot-net>

> Hello,
>  This may be a dumb question, but please bear with me, I'm kinda new at
this.
> How do I calculate the break rate of my synchronous rotary gap? My rotor
has 4
> contacts. it is a 1/2 hp motor, 1725 rpm(I think), 60hz. Whatever it is, it
> seems to work well.

Jon,

If you did not modify the motor by grinding flats on it, then it's still
1725 rpm and is not synchronous.   To calc the break rate for 1800 rpm
divide 1800 by 60 to get revs per second = 30, then mulitply 30 x 4
electrodes = 120 bps.  If you motor is slower than 1800 rpm, then
the breakrate will be slower by the same proportion.

Cheers,
John Freau