[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kind words for ozone and nitrogen dioxide

> Ozone and nitrogen dioxide may or may not be serious hazards to people who
> like
> to play with Tesla coils. I would simply suggest that for the guys and gals
> who play
> with our extreme toys, we should have a better understanding of these
> hazards. Do
> these gasses present a true, real situation hazard in the concentrations we
> encounter? How much nitrogen dioxide
> is there at 10-20-30 feet from an active coil? What size coil? Same kind of
> questions
> for ozone.
>
> Sorry guys and gals, so far I have heard just a lot of the sky is falling
> junk science.
> I still like the smell of ozone and please take it easy with the flame
> throwers.
>
> Happy day,
> Ralph Zekelman

	For what it's worth, when I was a kid (circa 1940) I built several
small TC's and played with then in an enclosed sun porch.  After letting
then run for several minutes at a time (I liked the sound and the smell)
I often found that I had significant throat irritation, although no
permanent harm ever resulted, as far as I know. I believe that enough
running of a big enough coil in an enclosed room could certainly make
one uncomfortable!  By the way, most of the odor was from nitrogen
oxides.  Ozone has quite a distinctive and different smell; sniff around
a germicidal lamp to get the idea.

Ed
Ed