[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: hv connections

Comments interspersed below..

> Original Poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
> >what is the proper material for connecting a coil.like nst connections
and
> >so on.i want to completely knock out any possibility for danger.
> >

> For NST interconnects (to paralell NST's) I use Neon Sign wire, it's VERY

> thick insulation and rated for 15,000Volts. I still don't trust it
though.
> Only once have I held one while hot, that was at a neon shop and everyone

> was looking at me like I was a wus when I would VERY gently hold the
wire.
> These guys do it everyday and have lost their fear and respect for the
power
> involved.
> I only use it for NST interconnects because it's small, only 14AWG.

14 AWG will easily carry 20 amps, although it's RF impedance might be
higher, but at the relatively low frequencies of a TC, it's just not going
to make that much of a difference.

Either you believe the ratings or you don't. At some point you've got to
believe in your design.  Of course, this is why I like coax with the shield
grounded.  even if the insulation breaks down, its going to spark to
ground, not my hand.

The voltages in a TC primary might also be somewhat above the voltage of
the NST...

> Unless it specifically says so on the wire, almost ALL wire is rated for
600
> Volts.

Actually, that would be 300V.. most PVC insulated hookup wire, for
instance, is rated at 300V.

 The reason for this magical number is that's the definition of High
> Voltage. At about 600 Volts electricity will arc through air, below that
you
> can have 2 wires with only thousandths of an inch apart and as long as
they
> don't touch it will not arc. Though keep in mind this is only true as
long
> as they don't touch.

Legally (electrical code, wise), low voltage is <50Volts.

Actually, the minimum sparking voltage for air is around 250 Volts. BUT,
and this is a big proviso, if there is anything (e.g. insulation, solids,
liquids, etc.) between, the sparking voltage can be much smaller.