[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High Voltage Corona Dope -- Questions

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Luc" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>
> >
> > Greetings All,
> >
> > I just noticed www.mouser-dot-com has a product called 'Final-L-Kote AR'.
> > It states, 'provides insulation against high voltage arcing
> > and corona shorts'.
> >
> > Has anybody tried this stuff?
> >
> > Is it worthwhile?
> >
> > Are there other similar products?
> >
> > Is it a good idea to spray the back side of a MMC board
> > with this stuff?
> >
> > How about the top windings of a secondary?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Bill Parn
>
> I try it on one coil to prevent corona from top winding : in my opinion
> at same tickness polyurethane is more effective ,the corona dope i try
> is just compose of neoprene and differents solvent ,the stuff is black
> and i suspect carbon.
>
> Luc Benard (Montreal)

Bill, Luc,

The electrostatic shielding from a properly sized and placed toroid will
prevent corona better than any coating material. A toroid extending well
past the outside diameter of the secondary will eliminate the need for any
protective coatings at all. I do think that a toroid extending from the
back of your MMC board might look a bit strange though! :^)

Ed Wingate RATCB