[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re[2]: NST's ARE ALL DEADLY !!!!!!!!

At 12:48 PM 03/04/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Paul,
>    I didn't have anything across the leads and i shorted it by touching a
>piece of metal to both poles of the ladder. I'm still trying to figure out
>why the heck i got shocked! I'm open to all suggestions. One possibility is
>that the nst possibly had a PFC built into it and it held a charge and when i
>touched the poles it used the PFC charge to shock me?
>Stumped in southern Ca.
>-Alan

Could the hot side of the AC have connected up with the ground through the
primary winding and somehow snuck around your switch?  If you pulled the
plug on the NST there is no way AC could get to it.  But if it was just a
single pole switch on the neutral, there may have been a sneak path.  Could
you tell if the shock was a sustained AC shock or something more like a cap
discharging?  A defect in the NST may have allowed something to
capacitively charge up too.

The PFC cap should be directly shorted by the primary winding but if
something has a bad connection and you jiggled the NST...

A static charge may have built up on you or something like the table.  That
may have charged the case of the isolated NST back up too.

Cheers,

	Terry