[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: hv connections

At 07:14 PM 03/04/2000 +0000, you wrote:
snip...

>>Either you believe the ratings or you don't. At some point you've got to
>>believe in your design.  Of course, this is why I like coax with the shield
>>grounded.  even if the insulation breaks down, its going to spark to
>>ground, not my hand.
>>

>Good idea :) Is it safe and reliable?

snip...

Last week I watched a two foot section of RG-393 dramatically explode when
the inner conductor and dual silver plated outer shield arced due to a
defect in the cable (someone wanted to "test" it...)  Although are TCs are
far less powerful than our little toy at work, coaxial cable may still make
a good bang if a primary cap were to blow it through.  Best not to hold
such high power things in ones hand... ;-))

Cheers,
	Terry "ears still a ringin'" Fritz